Pages

Wednesday 28 October 2015

Reading Strategies

I'm sharing a strategy that I'm using with one of my struggling readers. I hope some of you will find it useful!

One of my students LOVES reading but she also LOVES to guess the words, which she is really great at. I was finding that she was "reading" the words while making direct eye contact with me. I was constantly reminding her to cover the word and sound out the letters one at a time. She really didn't like me telling her to sound it out, and often got frustrated.

So, today I told her we'd be playing a reading "game". I gave her five stickers and told her that every time she guessed a word, I would steal a sticker. I wouldn't take a sticker if she attempted to sound out a word and got it wrong. However, if the word is "tree" and she says "ball", then I would remind her to look at the first letter for a clue and then take a sticker. She really loved the idea and she was REALLY motivated to sound out the word instead of guessing.

You could differentiate this by giving students more or less stickers, depending on their reading level or how easily they get frustrated. If they're not into stickers, something small like gum or iPad minutes could also work!



No comments:

Post a Comment