Pages

Wednesday 27 April 2016

Parts of Speech

So, I always struggle thinking of engaging ways for the students to practice identifying and brainstorming nouns, adjectives and verbs. I tried a new activity today that the kids enjoyed and I liked since it was student-centred and had them trying to think of less common "boring" words.

I showed this picture on the Smartboard. I am going to repeat this lesson with other "busy" pictures once in a while. Students were given a chart that was divided into nouns, adjectives and verbs. We brainstormed a few based on the pictures and they each had to record 5 of each type of word. Then they got to draw their own version of the picture once they were done. It's nice when they have background knowledge on parts of speech because now if they have an incomplete sentence, I can say "You're missing a verb!" Or, if their sentence is simplistic or boring I can say, "Why don't you add an adjective?"

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea. I use a similar activity (with a more simple picture) for comprehension strategies to have students generate summary/observations, inferences and predictions. These can be good starters for lessons or time fillers when you have 5 minutes to kill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete