Pages

Thursday 21 September 2017

Best Practices

My best practice focuses on 2 of the TQ Standards, i) there are many approaches to teaching and learning and l) the importance of engaging parents, purposefully and meaningfully, in all aspects of teaching and learning.

I know this is nothing new to any teacher in Ashmont but maybe I use it in a different way than you. Hopefully, you will find something useful.  I have created a Google Classroom for each unit taught in Gr. 2.  Each classroom includes teacher- created presentations using the various resources we utilize, videos and links to games that are at, below and above grade level,  that support the curriculum.  As we begin a new unit, we join another classroom.  The entire unit’s information is available from the beginning of the unit.  

  File_000.png           File_001.png

Each student and family has access to the classrooms at school and home.  I encourage students to involve their families during learning by showing families what we are learning but also what is coming up.  This gives those students who need pre-teaching / awareness of what’s coming up and gives students and families a chance to go back and review what was already learned.  

Over the last three years, I have noticed an increase of willingness to participate in activities and discussions.  Conversations often include things like, “I saw that in Google Classroom,”  “I watched that at home last night.”  Also, I’ve had students write comments on the links in classrooms.  I’ve received notices from students who’ve commented on certain links on how they enjoyed a video or game in the evening and weekends. :)

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a great way to keep up parent and student involvement in what is going on and upcoming in the classroom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete